What should an insured do if his vehicle is stolen and he loses his original policy too?

The first thing the policyholder needs to do is inform the police, the RTO where the vehicle was registered. Next, the policyholder needs to inform his/her insurance provider and also apply for a duplicate copy of the insurance policy.

After this, the policyholder may begin the process of filing a claim. This is will require an FIR and a letter from the RTO acknowledging the theft. Once the claim is registered, an investigator will be appointed to trace the lost vehicle. Depending on the outcome of the investigations, the insurer will offer the insured a claim settlement. A few additional documents may be required during the claim settlement process.