Steps To File For Two-Wheeler Insurance Accident Claim
Road accidents, especially ones involving two-wheelers, are widespread in India. From the poor condition of roads, rash driving, to people not following traffic rules, several reasons have made India a country with the most number of road accidents every year.
Most of these accidents often lead to significant monetary losses for the involved parties. This makes insurance a must-have for every individual who owns a two-wheeler. Third-party two-wheeler insurance is mandatory for every bike plying on Indian roads as per the Motor Vehicles Act.
But while the Internet has made purchasing and renewing two-wheeler insurance easy and quick, most bike owners are unaware of the claim filing process. They do not know what to do if their bike gets involved in an accident. Let's understand what bike insurance claim is and how to file a claim.
What is a Bike Insurance Claim?
By purchasing two-wheeler insurance, you get into a contract with the insurance provider. In simple words, the contract states that the insurance provider will pay for the damages suffered because of the accident.
So, let us assume that you met with an accident while riding to work and you have a valid two-wheeler insurance policy. In such a scenario, you will be required to file a 'Claim' with the insurance provider. It is through the claim that you will let the insurance provider know about your accident.
Types of Bike Insurance Claims
If you have health insurance, you might know about cashless and reimbursement claims. The same is available in bike insurance too. In health insurance, you can use the cashless claims facility if you are admitted to one of the network hospitals of the insurance provider.
Similarly, in bike insurance, insurance providers have a network of garages. In case your bike is damaged, you can visit one of the network garages of your insurance provider and get your bike repaired without worrying about the expenses. Your insurance provider will directly settle the repair bills with the garage.
But if for some reason your bike is not repaired at a network garage, you will first have to pay the bills and then get the same reimbursed by your insurance provider. But note that your insurance provider will only pay up to the coverage limit of the policy.
How to File a Bike Insurance Claim?
While the claim filing process of most bike insurers in India is mostly the same, there can be some small variations. Here are the basic steps you need to follow for bike insurance claim process-
- Note the registration number/s of the vehicle/s involved in the accident.
- If there is any legal angle to the accident, file an FIR at the nearest police station. The complaint copy will be required for claim filing.
- If possible, note things like the time and location of the accident. If there are any witnesses, note their name and contact details.
- Get in touch with your insurance provider to file the claim. This can be done on the phone or by visiting the nearest branch office of the insurance provider. Some insurance companies also offer online claim filing facility.
- Submit the required documents to file the claim successfully.
Documents Needed for Filing Bike Insurance Claims
You will mostly need-
- FIR or police complaint copy
- Bike registration certificate copy
- Insurance policy documents
- License copy
- Original bills in case of reimbursement claims
Once these documents are submitted and the bike damage insurance claim is filed, a surveyor of the insurance provider will visit the garage for inspecting the damage. If everything is in order, your claim will be accepted.
Are Bike Insurance Claims Rejected?
Yes, there are several reasons why your claim can be rejected. Some of the most common ones are-
- Inaccurate information in the claim form
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or other intoxicating substance
- Driving without a valid license
- Claim documents are not in order
- Delay in informing about the accident to your insurer
- Carrying an expired two-wheeler insurance
Selecting a Bike Insurance Provider
For hassle-free claims, it is vital to choose a reputed insurance provider. Apart from looking at factors such as the age and size of the company, you should also look at the claim settlement ratio to determine if it is a trustworthy company. You can check the IRDAI (Insurance Regulatory Development Authority of India) website and select a company with a good claim settlement ratio. Unlike other traditional claims process, IFFCO Tokio has a reputation of offering good claim settlement ratio, as its claim process is prompt and efficient. For two-wheeler insurance, you can place claim request up to Rs.20,000 through its user-friendly mobile app Quick Claim Settlement (QCS).
Also, do get a brief idea of the claim filing process of the insurance provider. Prefer one that lets you file claims offline as well as online. Online claims are more convenient and quick. Also, do understand the bike insurance claim rules, features, inclusions, and exclusions of your policy in detail before filing the claim to avoid delays and rejections.