What documents are needed for claiming Marine Transit Loss?
The documents mentioned are indicative and based on the circumstances of the claim, insurer may request for additional documents:-
- Original Invoice & packing List - if forming part of Invoice.
- In case any damage is suspected in transit, open delivery should be insisted upon the carrier and their certificate should be obtained.
- Original Lorry receipt (LR)/ Bill of Lading (BL)- Qualified with remarks for the Quantity damaged or lost in the transit.
- In case of Declaration Policy - The consignment should be declared and the within the limit of balance Sum insured.
- In case of loss/damage in transit, a monetary claim should be lodged with the carrier within the time limit to protect recovery rights.
- Damage / Shortage Certificate from the carrier.
- A surveyor (mutually agreed by the Insurer) must be appointed to determine the nature, cause and extent of loss/damage.